4 Ways to Reduce Home Allergens

4 Ways to Reduce Home Allergens

October 9, 2017 | No Comments


Your home is a place of refuge.  You sleep in your home, relax, and enjoy good quality air.  That is, as long as your home is allergen free.  Allergens are particles that float around in the air and are known to cause allergic reactions.  People suffer from various allergens, and not everyone will be agitated by the same ones.  No matter what though, you want to reduce the number of allergens you have in your home, and this is what this guide will help you do.

It All Starts In The Bedroom

Your bedroom is where your biggest allergen threat is.  You spend between 6 and 12 hours every day just in this room.  If it isn’t clear of allergens, it will affect you significantly.  Typical bedroom allergens include pet dander, pollen, dust, and dust mites.  Experts recommend that you rid your room of allergens once a week, if not twice.

Washing your bedding and any other cloth in the bedroom is a great start to removing allergens.  You should regularly vacuum both the floor and upholstered surfaces.  Dust every area of the bedroom with a wet cloth or wet duster.  Removing shoes and other outside items from the bedroom will also aid in eliminating allergens.

Inspect Your Home For Mold

Mold is one of the top household allergen causes because it is easy to create a mold-friendly environment.  Take the time once every year to inspect your house for mold.  You want to look anywhere that you have water such as bathrooms and kitchens.  Areas that store food should also be inspected including the kitchen, eating areas, and trash areas.  Other areas to check include the laundry room, windows, doors, and other drafty areas.  Outside areas such as roofing should also be examined.

Leaks, discoloration, and moisture are all signs of mold or mold potential.  An inexpensive humidity detector can also alert you to the possibility of mold.  When inspecting areas for mold, you should consider wearing an N-95 respirator.

Get Rid of Old Carpet

As your home ages so do your carpets.  Every time you spill something on your carpet or the carpet is exposed to humidity it has the chance to harbor allergens.  In addition to that, your vacuum cleaner only removes about 5% of dust mites.  That leaves a lot of insects building up on your carpet over time.  It is hard to remove the remaining 95% of mites from your carpet.

Removing old carpet from your home is an excellent idea.  Homes that are older than 1978 may still have lead dust on the carpets, before removing spray them down with water and wear a mask to keep yourself safe.  If you really must keep the carpet, consider having it deep-cleaned.

Maintain Safe Humidity Levels

Humidity levels in your home are a major player in allergens.  Maintaining safe humidity levels will help to keep the allergens at bay.  The Environmental Protection Agency recommends that you keep your humidity level at 60%.

A humidity reader/moisture reader will help you to determine the levels of humidity in each room.  Fans, ventilation,  humidifiers, and dehumidifiers can all help you to maintain proper levels in your home.

Getting rid of your allergens will also work towards building energy efficient homes.  You, your family, and your guests will all appreciate being able to walk into the house and breath good quality air.

For information on custom built homes contact Grayson Homes at 919-578-6222.

Mike Poupard